The Spent Penny

Thursday, May 10, 2007

Last night I went to Criterion Cinemas in New Haven to see a movie, "Into Great Silence" about a group of monks who have taken a vow of silence.

"Into Great Silence" Website

While all in subtitles, I found it very powerful. It was a great window into the monastic life, particularly of this order. It was wonderful. It was a great worship experience for me, just to see them in their daily work, and how Christ was a part of every little thing they did, from gardening to washing cutlery.

I would love to put some of these things to work in my life. I'd love to be able to worship while greeting people at IKEA, or even having to discipline the children (or parents....) Who are not behaving well.

It's a real challenge. I'm really in awe of the monastic life, If I weren't the semi-protestant that I am, and thought I could take a vow of celibacy, and didn't find Carolyn who I married..haha, I would be so drawn to such a life.

I'm also curious to see how we can work monastic ideas into all of our lives as a community. It's tough, but, I believe, Important.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home