The Spent Penny

Wednesday, May 02, 2007

Divorce is Sad

So, I got my bike, gonna give it another go in a little bit. Once we finally got it put together, it was late and dark out, so I just went for a short ride around the neighborhood.

But that's all as far as that.

Divorce is sad.

I went to interpret for a co-worker this morning for a contempt case, where her husband wasn't paying sufficient child support. Sadly, she had to wait an hour and a half for a court certified translator to come and help her out (not being certified, they couldn't use me) But I was honored to be asked.

So, I ended up waiting with Blanca (my co-worker) for moral support. What an awkward experience, seeing Blanca walk by her ex husband without even acknowledging his presence, having been married to someone, and then to not be able to bear the sight of them. I'm not saying, necessarily that I blame her, or that I judge her for her reaction. But still, the sadness remains.

When finally, an interpreter came, I waited outside for the opportunity to sit in on the case for, again, moral support. But my parking meter ran out, and I just had to leave after 3 or so hours waiting with her. Anyway, it's that I saw countless couples going through divorces, fighting with each other, who gets what, etc. As well as seeing fathers stressed as anything, trying to figure out how they're going to afford to pay child support and like...eat.

What is this monster that has taken over so much or our culture? It causes so much pain, to so many people. It's so sad to see so many families go down the tubes. All the tears, enfuriated soon-to-be ex spouses, and broke and pissed off fathers has left me emotionally drained.

(BTW, Blanca won her case!!! And her ex husband is now going to have to pay all he owes her!) And she, now..has VERY little money, works part time at IKEA in the dishroom, and is the only one who works in her family (is pregnant) and wouldn't let me turn down the $50 dollars she offered me for the help in paperwork and everything I did to help her out.

It's been a taxing day. It's really just now that all of that's sort of hitting me. And making sense as I'm almost in tears this evening.


Lord, protect my family, protect marriages all over this country. Let the church know the correct way to stand up against this work of the enemy.

1 Comments:

At 4:13 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

That's a really sad post.

Seeing all the destructive influences and attitudes in the world I just find it amazing that after ten years of marriage my wife and I are so much in love and growing in it all the time. We are no great and holy people - We just keep bringing ourselves before the Lord and try to never let the sun go down on our anger.

Thanks for the post, Danny. My Christ bless your marriage.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home